HB1408, the Permitted Open Carry Act, been waiting on this for a while. It changes current concealed carry law by adding ‘openly’ to it.
(1) “Carry a handgun in public” means to carry a handgun either openly or concealed in a public place that is not otherwise prohibited by
And all current Concealed Handgun Licenses will be recognized as Open Carry.
This bill as heavy opposition such as House Speaker Davy Carter, and right now it’s in the House Judiciary Committee here at http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/2013/2013R/Pages/CommitteeDetail.aspx?committeecode=820
On Tuesday they’ll bring it up at 10 am. So contact the following :
|JUDICIARY COMMITTEE- HOUSE|
I would urge you to say pass it, this link shows the states that have here so it’s not new. The main argument against it I’ve heard is ‘I don’t want to walk around seeing guns on people’s hips.’
Yes, well the Second Amendment says “shall not infringe” and all laws restricting it is infringing. My Rights are not subject to your approval or if you feel uncomfortable. If someone was going to use a gun against you then they won’t be advertising the fact they have a gun. Surprise is a tactical advantage. And how the CHL process works in this state is a class in the law, then you have to prove you can shoot, followed by a F.B.I Background Check, along with an Arkansas State Police Background Check, fingerprints and finally, your local sheriff has to sign off on it.
It’s not the guns you’ll see that should bother you, it’s the one that is pointed at you. It’s the mind and intent behind the tool, not the tool.
- Scott Urges House Speaker to Support Open Carry (5newsonline.com)
- Texas to revisit open carry for handguns (kansascity.com)
- House Speaker Faces Criticism for Open Carry Views (fox16.com)
- Arkansas: Lawmaker files legislation respecting different modes of carry (nraila.org)
- Bill to Allow Open Carry of Firearms in Public Filed in Arkansas House (arkansasmatters.com)
- Big Impact at Michigan’s Open Carry Pro 2nd Amendment Assembly (sgtreport.com)